MUFFLEY & YOCKEY DNA UPDATE

In the AncestryDNA database, Gary has autosomal DNA (atDNA) shared segments with J.M., a descendant of Lebbens/Lebbeus Muffley, called “Lebbeus” in this blog’s section on Muffley of Wisconsin & on his tombstone. He was called “Lebbens” in other documents. J.M. & Gary have 17.1 centiMorgans total of shared segments at 2 chromosomal locations. By chance, Dr. Mark Paul Muffley, grandson of Lebbeus, reportedly lived in Lincoln Nebraska when Gary arrived there in 1961 to attend the University of Nebraska. I have a faint memory of hearing this. Lebbeus Muffley (b. 1837) was my 1st cousin, 4 times removed. The Most Recent Common Ancestors (MRCAs) for me & my descendants versus descendants of Lebbeus were Johannes (son of Niclaus) & Maria Barbara Yockey Muffley. At www.findagrave.com Lebbeus’ Memorial# is 62836261. At one time he was a hotel keeper in Boscobel Wisconsin, & also was a fruit grower at the time of another census.

Our Muffley cousin Don Anderson, now deceased, descended from John R. Muffley (b. 1824), who was a brother of Lebbeus. Don had a collection of Muffley memorabilia which was in danger of vanishing upon his death. Hopefully, something was saved.  A photo of Lebbeus was part of that collection. Lebbeus was a first cousin to Thomas Muffley (b. 1821), who was the father of our Joe Muffley, Franklin Biddle Muffley, Sadie Muffley Lentz, Will Muffley of D.C., & 2 who died young.

Johannes (son of Niclaus) & Maria Barbara Yockey Muffley were also the MRCAs for me versus my atDNA match at AncestryDNA “Keaters4”. My atDNA shared segment (Muffley or Yockey??) with Keaters4 is only 9.9 cM, & he does not show up as my joint match with J.M. Johannes’ & Maria’s son John “Jacob” Muffley (b. 1784) was my ancestor. Jacob’s brother Joseph (b. 1797), “The Teacher”, was the ancestor of atDNA match J.M. Their brother Wilhelm/William (b. 1789) was the ancestor of Keaters4.

The surname of Jacob Muffley’s wife Elissabetha/Elizabeth has long eluded us, & atDNA searches have not yet revealed anything conclusive. Their son Thomas Muffley (b. 1821) & his wife Julianna Wilhelm were the MRCAs for me versus Cousin Bill Clarkson. We have small shared chromosomal segments in the Family Tree DNA database.

Also at AncestryDNA, I have atDNA matches under the alternate spelling “Muffly”. Cousin “K.K.” by kovelant has with me 11.9 cM shared segment, & kovelant herself has with me 10.2 cM. In the Hunter Family Tree by kovelant, ancestry is traced back to Catherine Muffly (1803-1860) who married Joseph Schmidt. Catherine reportedly died in Northampton County Pennsylvania at a time when my closer kin were in Western Pennsylvania. Thus, the MRCA might be more remote, possibly back to Niclaus Maffli (b. 1707, Switzerland) & his unknown wife (reportedly Wyant).  One more generation back from atDNA cousins via MRCAs Johannes & Maria.

I also have at AncestryDNA some atDNA cousins via the surname Yockey, including Keaters4. The whole Muffley & Yockey atDNA cousins’ picture would be greatly clarified if several Muffley & Yockey descendants would send (quickly & easily done, without cost) their raw autosomal DNA data from testing lab databases to www.gedmatch.com  My kits at GEDmatch are T203534 (FTDNA) & A693287 (AncestryDNA). GEDmatch has several sophisticated data analyses tools. My atDNA cousins who chose to do this may contact me at my e-mail address appearing at GEDmatch, & I will help with data analysis.

In the AncestryDNA database, K.L. by dogl1958 has with me a total of 20.3 cM shared segments on 2 chromosomes. Unfortunately, we are not given the crucial chromosomal location data by the lab, which choses to be unnecessarily unhelpful. In the Lloyd tree, K.L. descends from Peter Yockey (b. 1760), brother of my ancestor Maria Barbara Yockey Muffley. Thus, the MRCAs for me & K.L. would have been Christian Yockey (b. 1720) & wife Maria Catharina Christ. Recall that Christian Yockey & Niclaus Maffli/Muffley were shipmates, arriving in 1737 in America. Fortunately, the Lloyd atDNA testing also appears at Family Tree DNA, where we see that Don has with me on Chromosome 10 17.26 cM of shared segment. Also at GEDmatch, Don’s Kit A626478 shows the Chromosome 10 match with my Kit # A693287. 

At AncestryDNA, paphrag by tpw1986 has with me 15.9 cM of shared segment. The Walker tree shows ancestry back to Magdalena Yockey Stoehr (1811-1844). However, the tree Home Person also has in common with me Van Ness & Van Voorhees ancestries. Which of these ancestries account for the atDNA match? We need to know the chromosomal locations & triangulations to other kin. No GEDmatch, no conclusions here.

AncestryDNA does offer a solution in the case of my atDNA match with H.H. by Rhonda Kavorkian: Christian Yockey & Maria Catharina Christ as MRCAs, but based only upon our listed trees & a dinky 6.5 cM shared segment.


My yDNA currently shows only one close match: Richard Muffley. Known MRCA = Niclaus Maffli/Muffley. My FTDNA Kit 170106 appears in a large miscellaneous group in the Swiss yDNA Project at www.familytreedna.com/public/switzerland/default.aspx?section=yresults  This, however, does not reflect the finding from a British lab that I am positive on the SNP marker S21, placing me in the subclade R1b1a1a2a1a1 in the 2017 classification by the International Society of Genetic Genealogy www.isogg.org Germanic, not Celtic.